Monday, October 4, 2010

Pumpkin Roll

 *I apologize in advance that there are SO MANY pictures... *

So, I found this recipe again on one of my FAVORITE Cooking Blogs... 
LICK THE BOWL GOOD
Sometimes I want to send her my recipes to try before I attempt them!

Libby's Pumpkin Roll


  • CAKE

  • 1/4 cup powdered sugar (to sprinkle on towel)

  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour

  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder

  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

  • 3 large eggs

  • 1 cup granulated sugar


  • 1 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)



  • FILLING

  • 1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, at room temperature

  • 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted

  • 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened

  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

  • Powdered sugar (optional for decoration)


*My rantings/tips are in red*

FOR CAKE:
PREHEAT
 oven to 375° F. Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan; line with wax paper. Grease and flour paper. Sprinkle a thin, cotton kitchen towel with powdered sugar (USE A TON... and DO NOT use terry cloth)
COMBINE flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt in small bowl. 
Beat eggs and granulated sugar in large mixer bowl until thick
Beat in pumpkin. 
Stir in flour mixture. 
Spread evenly into prepared pan. Sprinkle with nuts. ... I did NOT do nuts...
BAKE for 13 to 15 minutes or until top of cake springs back when touched.
 Immediately loosen and turn cake onto prepared towel. 
Carefully peel off paper.
 Roll up cake and towel together, starting with narrow end. 
Cool on wire rack. 

FOR FILLING:
While cake is cooling (about an hour) make the filling...
BEAT
 cream cheese, 1 cup powdered sugar, butter and vanilla extract in small mixer bowl until smooth. 
Carefully unroll cake. 
Spread cream cheese mixture over cake. 
Make sure you go all the way to the edges... so every bite has that cream cheesy goodness!!
Reroll cake. 
As I rerolled I pulled it from the cloth. You can see in my picture that I should have used A LOT MORE powdered sugar. The more generous you are with it, the easier it will come off of the cloth. 
Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour.
 Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving, if desired. 
Who doesn't desire powdered sugar!?! Come on!!!
Also, the powdered sugar is a GREAT way to hide any imperfections in your cake!

ENJOY!!!

3 comments:

Meagan , Brian, Sydney and Jonas! said...

This is one of Brian's favorite desserts for me to make. So funny, I just made this last night. I loved getting sliced almonds and placing them on the cake batter before it goes in the oven. But yeah, this is a great recipe!

Anneke said...

Could I use my Pampered Chef bar pan?

Suzanne & Andrew Dupuis said...

Ya know... idk... I don't see why not... just watch it bake closely. It is smaller than a jellyroll pan... so the roll would be smaller and thicker... which might make it hard to roll without cracking. Umm... I actually went about bought a jellyroll pan for this recipe... they were only $5 at Wegmans for a Wilton Brand... so I snatched that right up! I have used it 3 times now! There are also so many other recipes I want to try with it now that I have figured it all out! THis was my FIRST Pumpkin Roll... and it REALLY WAS NOT HARD!!! I PROMISE!